Friday, December 28, 2012

The Moment When I Forgot About the World (El Nido, Pt. 2)



Logged out, shut down and forgot about the world. These were the exact things I did when I went to El Nido. Funny, I didn’t have my laptop with me. My phone couldn’t access the internet as well. The islands had my full attention and I didn’t think anything was worth the trouble of being bothered. I was in El Nido in the first place! What more could I ask for?

Our El Nido trip wasn’t part of the plan but I’m more than happy that we went through it anyway. We all decided that since we’re already in Puerto Princesa, why not go all the way?

El Nido is six-seven hours away from Puerto Princesa. And since we only had four days in Palawan, we squeezed in a day for this getaway. There weren’t any rooms for proper sleep as we had to travel on land by 3 in the morning so that we’d get there by 9. Plus, thanks to my friend, Stolichnaya, I brought along a little hangover with me.

The smooth drive gave me some time to sleep in the van. Our first stop over was three hours away from our destination and it gave us time to have our breakfast. I had to get coffee in my veins and wake my senses up. It didn’t really give me the energy I wanted but who cares? I slept it off more once we got on the road again.  


The whole drive was a blur mainly because my eyes were closed the whole time. As soon as I felt OK, it was also about time that we were near El Nido. This gave me the realization of how I haven’t thought much about the trip. I saw photos of El Nido on the internet but we all know photos could be deceiving. I suddenly felt that I was going somewhere I never had any idea about. It somehow made me feel excited and anxious at the same time. However, excitement reigns.



After minutes of static views of fields and mountains, the first sight of El Nido was this gigantic limestone karst formation that’s taller than a skyscraper from the road. I suddenly had goose bumps all over. I literally wanted to get in the water right that minute! I see the humble Nipa huts and small houses in the area and thought how lucky the locals are to see such view every day. The first glimpse got me dumbfounded. I couldn’t wait for what’s more.

The original plan was to not spend the night in El Nido and go home that same day. But judging the six-hour road trip, it was wise to get a good rest before hitting the road once again. Thankfully, we managed to get a walk-in accommodation at Friendly Inn. Indeed, the place and of course, the prices are friendly. It was perfect.


Our excitement couldn’t hold itself any longer as we hurried to the shore where our boats wait. The moment I had a better view, I couldn’t believe that I was finally there. My feet were firmly planted on the fine white sand. I can hear the rush of the waves, smell the salty breeze, feel the warmth of the sun on my skin, most of all see the picturesque horizon right before my eyes. The photos I’ve been staring at the internet for so long, I could already see in real life. I was more than psyched. Pure bliss was what it was.



El Nido has over forty islands where a day consists of 1-2 sets of tours. One tour is comprised of a friendly tour guide and a boatman that takes you to five beautiful islands or lagoons. Also, lunch is included. So this is how our tour went:

The Big Lagoon

About 20 minutes away from the town’s port, our first stop was the Big Lagoon. This was one of the most famous spots in El Nido’s set of islands and anyone can easily see why. For a few minutes, the only words that came out of my mouth were “wow”, “oh my God” and “amazing”.


You know when you see a great photo of a place and when you’re finally physically there, you’re kind of disappointed because it’s not the same. El Nido isn’t one of these. In fact, to be honest, it’s the other way around. Seeing every bit of the area and feeling its entire presence made me shudder in a good way.


Positive descriptions aren’t enough but if I had to say one thing about the place, it’ INSPIRING. Somehow, it gave me a sense of pride for my country. The Philippines owns this place. On the other hand, the “highway” literally swept me off my feet. I shared a moment of silence with Mother Nature as I breathed everything in. Oh yes, that moment I knew I was happy.

Lunch

Our tummies were all rumbling and we were all looking forward for an island lunch. Our lovely tour guides were happy to serve us good food so we had to stop over a secluded island where they could grill our delicious island food.

While we waited for the food, we all took the time to enjoy the place. We snorkelled, took a dip in the water and lay around on the sand. I would definitely consider this as one of my life’s most unforgettable lunches. By the beach under a tree in an island, in the middle of other islands that we only had for ourselves. It was perfect. Not to mention, the food was superb! Island food at its finest. NOM NOM.




Shimizu Island

After sipping a few island drinks, we were off to another area in El Nido. Since we filled our tummies with fresh fish, I think it was highly ironic that we fed the fish next. Shimizu Island is home to a large school of fish that are hungry all day.



Once our boat stopped in the middle of the water, I can see a swarm underneath. And when the boatman threw a handful of rice in, I was mesmerized. Fishes were quickly finding their way to the surface. We all wore our snorkels and jumped in together with these hungry fellows.

Small Lagoon

A little tired from feeding and swimming with the fish, we all needed a break. Luckily, we were bound to the Small Lagoon. Compared to the Big Lagoon, this is more secluded and covered. There’s a small passageway where boats cannot pass. They need to dock outside and we have to lead ourselves in.
Since we were all tired and the water was said to be 30 meters deep, it was not such good idea to frolic in the water. Our tour guide saw us struggle and probably think it was funny but was too kind to help us through.



With our life jackets on, we lay in the water on our backs and held the foot that was on our heads. The tour guide then dragged us along in the water and at that moment, the only thing that was running through my head was that I was there. I was literally there. Enjoying every bit of the moment.

The Small Lagoon had a certain charm that captures you by the minute. It has an eerily enchanted aura- as if the rocks are alive and watching you and the waters are holding you. It was mysteriously quiet. Yet you hear the sound of the wind and every sound that came from our voices reverberates. Everything was calming to the soul.

7 Commando Beach

On our last stop, our goal was to witness the sunset. I have seen several majestic sunsets in my life and all I could attest is that each is incomparable to the others. Every sunset holds a different feel because it happened at a different time and involved different people. And this was one of those special moments.



We’ve come a long way and when the day was about to end, we all wanted it to be special. 7 Commando beach was a long strip of fine white sand facing a wide horizon that consisted of orange and purple hues. The water was perfect. The time was perfect. We all waited for the sun to go as we bid the islands goodbye. Going back to the shore, I mentally crossed out El Nido on my bucket list. I was already thinking of going back and I haven’t even left yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment