Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Wish List Plague

Christmas is just a few days away but then in the Philippines, this festive season usually begins the moment the first of September arrives. Ber-months as what it’s called, usually is the time when:
  •         The air gets cooler which I really love,
  •         Night lights seem brighter,
  •         Fashion trends change which I really love as well but find it a little too overdone at times (I mean,       come on it’s the Philippines! Wearing a fur jacket and boots at 30° Celsius is unacceptable man, downright unacceptable! Not to mention that bloody scarf!),
  •          Food gets “unhealthier” and of course, yummier ;),
  •         Traffic gets worse and when I mean worse it’s not from good to moderate but worst to worstesest,
  •         People are bragging, announcing and complaining about Christmas shopping and why it’s so stressful, why it’s so joyful and why it’s so heart-warming and money-slashing all at the same time,
  •         Everyone’s kinder all of a sudden like giving money to beggars on Yuletide season is such a “noble-act-you-deserve-an-award” thing to do and last but not the least,
  •        These annoying Wall photos, Facebook albums, lists, Tumblr posts and the likes about Christmas wishes go on the Internet like crazy!

Source
Among all of the common things that are done during this oh-so-jolly, festive time of the year, the last statement is probably the most I’m irked on. The Wish List Plague, as what I like to refer it, should be banned, marked as SPAM, blocked, thrown into the pits of virtual hell and syphoned into the Web’s simulated black hole.  

It’s not that I despise wish lists. In fact, I find it very useful especially when you know someone who is branded as the “last person you want to pick your name on Kris Kringle” or "the winner of the worst and weirdest gift giver award". This wish list might save you from receiving the oddest, most useless and most generic gifts like face towels or photo albums or mugs. 

Don’t you dare tell me that it’s the thought that counts because if someone so dear to me gave me face towels, my impression would be, he/she just went in the department store and grabbed a box of towels on the nearest shelf with a label that says' Christmas gift ideas and bam! Pays for it, wraps it and gives it to me as a “present”.

What annoys me about wish lists nowadays is because of the boom of the online era that this “sharing act” goes on to a whole new level. Seriously, do you really have to make an album with all the things you want to receive by Christmas Eve? And worse, you tag random people out of your friends list just so somebody would comment on your photos to make you look less of a loser in the virtual world. Because hey, it seems like the more likes and comments you get, it proves something about who you really are. Wish lists in my opinion should be:

Private. Choose the people whom you want to show it to. Preferably the ones who are willing to give you the things you are asking for. Would your second grade classmate from fifteen years ago care if you want a freaking maxi skirt from Forever21? No. I don’t think so.

Realistic. There’s a fine line between mockery and just making papansin online. You can say I want a Rolls-Royce for Christmas which is obviously an act of ridicule and we both know that it’s never going to happen. But I see posts like *I want a Canon EOS howshabouta with all the types of lenses even though I don’t know a fuck about professional photography and I just want to look cool*. 

We all know for a fact that it costs more than a hundred grand. Unless you’re parents/uncles/aunts/grandparents/lover/husband are the shit then you don’t have to share it on the Internet because they’ll know for sure that it’s really what you want and they’d give it to you eventually. But to share it on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Wordpress, Blogger, Youtube etc. and to all those random people in your list, I’m thinking… what is going on with this person asking for such an expensive gift!? Go buy it yourself, dude! 
   
Not overly done. You know these kinds of people who share every friggin minute of their lives on the Internet- “OMG I’m drunk!” “OMG! I puked!” “OMG! I drunk called my ex!” “OMG! I am about to pass out!”- well pass out already so you don’t have to post another status anymore! It’s the same as posting what you want for Christmas. It’s like sharing to the world that you’re wrapping Christmas presents as of the moment. Who the hell cares if you’re wrapping presents!? Unless, there’s something in there for me of course ;).


Amidst this rant, I’d still want everybody to get what they want in life this season because in a sense, the more happy people there are, the lesser the sorrow is (I don’t think I made any sense. Haha). But then I still think that there is more to having presents during Christmas. (and yes, I'm not just saying that because I can't afford  Christmas shopping :p) Don’t let these material things overshadow your enthusiasm on what this season is about. Share the love and spread the joy. 

And before I go, here's a couple of Youtube videos that somehow amused/touched me that's related to this warm season. :) 

I love Nigahiga and Ryan's opinion on things, especially Christmas Spirit. 


Though this video is funny, it just touched me. These men and women sacrificed their time with their families in service of their countries. And It's heartwarming to know that they'll be going home for Christmas. 




4 comments:

  1. You just summed up everything I had in mind! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know I have someone to back me up! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. "These annoying Wall photos, Facebook albums, lists, Tumblr posts and the likes about Christmas wishes go on the Internet like crazy!" - This is really annoying.. in short "Inggit ka lang!" lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bakit ako maiingit kung wala naman silang ganun??? hahahahaha kaya nga wish list eh. pangarap nila. :P

    ReplyDelete