Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Epilogue on What Happens When You Don’t Know What’s Next

A dozen mosquito bites, an uneven tan and muddy shoes- these have been my new signs of a successful adventure. I’m surprised that I haven’t acquired dengue or malaria out of this trip. But it doesn’t matter. Even if I had I wouldn’t regret it once I survive. Mosquitoes are part of nature anyway. And this trip, by all means, was nature.

Looking at my right arm as I’ve counted eight swells from the bites so far, I perfectly remember the words from the man who welcomed us warmly in his humble abode that seemed like it has sprouted naturally from nowhere. It weren’t deep words really. But they were wise. Basically, what it meant was “get used to it”.


It was around nine in the evening as my roommates and I were huddled inside a spacious hut. It was the guest house in a place that was referred to as Papelan- because the owner was a paper maker.



Let me tell you about the place first as the fact that it exists simply awes me. I love that it was only known as Papelan as if there isn’t really an official name and locals just got used to it. I had no idea where we were going as from the highway we entered an underdeveloped large subdivision. We were on convoy and as our van turned a series of lefts and rights, I realised we already were on the outskirts of the place.


The cemented road was replaced with soil and the houses in divided lots were gone as tall grasses took over the place. It felt like there was a portal somewhere that had just enabled us to enter a whole new dimension. All of a sudden it felt like a different place. A different era. 

The walls were made of thick handmade paper that were plastered on screens and were held up by thin bamboo poles for support. It was the typical bahay kubo. Except its roof wasn’t made of nipa. And by being ignorant, sensitive creatures from the city, we feared the fact that there weren’t any window screens. It was as if we were welcoming all the insects for a night of a bloodsucking escapade.

Thank God for insect repellent, I thought. But at the moment I didn’t have any. None of us had any. As disrespectful as it may seem, we were hesitant to ask the owner if we could buy a bottle or so outside. It was stupid of us really- at nine in the evening, in what looks like the middle of nowhere, we were looking for insect repellent. I figured what the hell. Let the mosquitoes devour my blood. It’s not as if I’m going to die. Well, technically, I can die because of it. But it was a lesser priority at that time as I was busy handling more serious matters- which were the frogs and the geckos roaming all over the place. Eeeck.

So there I was, accepting the fact that I was going to sleep in a hut for the first time. The cool breeze was the only air conditioning system. The bamboo floor was my bed. It wasn’t such a big deal to me actually. As long as it is clean and safe, I’m fine. I am up for anything- except nothing foreign, slimy, and scaly has to touch my skin while I sleep. And thank God nothing did.

Just as we were discussing our sleeping arrangements, all of a sudden somebody braved to ask the owner.

“Excuse me sir, do you have insect repellent?”

Oh no. Oh no. I was already anxious in my head. I wanted to scream “don’t you get it?!” but of course I remained silent- like most of the times I’m ever caught with awkward situations. Obviously, the owner doesn’t use insect repellent. For living in a place like this for a long time, the insects must be his friends. And being the outsiders that we are, we’re the “treats”.

The owner replied wittily and politely- thank heavens. He had this jovial, wise aura and had a different outlook on a lot of things. I figured because he was an artist- a free spirit. One of the most interesting human beings I have ever crossed paths with.

Crickets chirping about along the humming breeze, I began to deeply evaluate the area. This wasn’t in the itinerary. Nobody knew we were going here. All we know was that we had to do a last stop over to shoot a great view of the sunset.

At first I was hesitant. Scared. Unsure. But then I felt calm and contented that it was almost strange. I have never been contented at anything not even for a moment. I was always looking forward onto something, envisioning millions of things that could possibly happen. But then, for a fraction of a second, something hit me. It was exactly what I needed. And the place, the so-called Papelan, became clear to me. It felt like a temporary escape. And all I had to do was accept what’s in front of me.

The owner told me that there was a huge camp out that happened a couple of weeks ago. There were around 200 people who went to celebrate Bob Marley’s birthday. I have no idea how 200 people were able to fit in but based from his story, it was beyond awesome. People came in from different places, some even from up north, and brought just sleeping bags and tents. Different localities and foreign visitors jammed as one to Marley’s music. They just went. And had a good time, definitely. And I envied them for I realised I never did such a thing. Never in my life have I just gone and see what happens.




Was it because I’m still young? Well, I am getting older and one of these days, young would be just a part of my memory. Was it because I was scared? Maybe. I was scared of the unknown. But moreover, I would be more frightened of the regrets I will have in the future if I didn’t go.

The place was perfect all of a sudden. I disregarded that it was inhabited by my “reptile friends”. Everything was different. And I loved that nothing was familiar. Not a single aspect was the same from where I came from and what I’m used to. And then I asked myself hypothetically, “How long will I be able to live in this place?” I gave myself a month. Shame.

This surprise was truly a good way to end my last trip. For five days of having the opportunity of being able to try something new, I learned to accept the things that happen as they are. And that sometimes, it wouldn’t hurt if you don’t know what’s going to happen next.

Until my next journey, this has been an unusual trip. And I’m more than glad that I had the guts to go.





  

2 comments:

  1. This is odd. I was actually searching for blogs about this "Papelan" in my home province in Quezon, where they say Bob Marley's b-day is celebrated annually by local reggae artists...and lo, the face of my college blockmate appeared. Hi Dez! Tim here... hahaha!

    T'was a good read anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim!

      I just saw your comment today. You should visit Papelan if you haven't been there yet. It's a nice place! :) Hope all's well with you and thanks!

      Delete